Postgraduate Diploma in Paediatrics and Child Health
Specialists within paediatrics, whilst in short supply in developed countries such as the UK, are in even shorter supply within developing countries that suffer from significant healthcare shortages. The lack of educational accessibility within the discipline has contributed to making it increasingly difficult to recruit paediatricians, therefore threatening the safety of children’s health. Increasing the awareness around the subject will be beneficial, however increasing the accessibility of postgraduate education within paediatrics is the key to making a real difference to child health outcomes globally.
Learna’s brand new affordable, expert-led Postgraduate Diploma in Paediatrics and Child Health, delivered via our award-winning online platform, provides 100% flexible and accessible postgraduate education to healthcare providers globally. Our aim is to improve medical education and therefore clinical outcomes for children worldwide by equipping Healthcare professionals with the specialist knowledge in paediatric care that is so urgently needed.
Next intake: 2022 SeptemberKey Facts
Paediatrics has always been an important field of study that has a direct impact on the health of the world's population. In 2019, roughly 14,000 under-five deaths occurred every day, an intolerably high number of largely preventable child deaths. Combine this with the serious shortfalls in the paediatrics workforce, and the lack of suitable paediatric care within developing countries, there is a clear need and scope to improve the quality of care for ill children across the world. Our flexible, 100% online Postgraduate Diploma in Paediatrics and Child Health will provide healthcare professionals with the necessary knowledge skills and experience to improve their career prospects and address these issues facing the healthcare sector.
University of Buckingham
The University of Buckingham is the only independent university in the UK with a Royal Charter, and also one of the smallest with around 2,700 students, who study for honours degrees in two intensive years of study. The University houses it's own medical school and was ranked first for student satisfaction in 2018, 2019 and 2020 by the Complete University Guide.
Dr Ambalika Das currently holds the position of Consultant Neonatologist, having worked in paediatrics and child health for over 25 years. An interest in teaching and training, Dr. Das has...
Next intake: 2022 November Key Facts
Why Study a Paediatrics and Child Health Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
The Paediatrics and Child Health Postgraduate Diploma is applicable to all GPs, Practice Nurses, Specialist Nurses and Pharmacists.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur Paediatrics and Child Health Postgraduate Diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
Equip the individual with a systematic understanding of general paediatrics, and application of knowledge for direct patient benefit/service development and future study.
- Genetic testing and counselling
- Maternal risk factors on newborn
- Resuscitation and examination
- Monitor growth and development and learn management in infancy and primary care settting
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of; antenatal testing, maternal history taking, neonatal resuscitation, national screening programme, 0-5 years child health surveillance, neonatal common presentations.
- Critically Apply an in-depth knowledge of health promotion strategies into their practice as General Paediatrician.
To recognise the importance of immunisation in preventing communicable disease and thus reduction in mortality and morbidity.
- Preventing communicable disease and reduction in mortality and morbidity
- Modify risk factors e.g obesity and asthma
- Prevent development of chronic diseases
- Appropriate diet and nutritional management
- Increasing incidences of allergic disorders in childhood
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of; national immunisation programme, modifiable risk factors in chronic diseases, healthy lifestyle choices, childhood nutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiency diseases, common childhood allergic disorders.
- To justify the rationale of universal immunisation to prevent communicable diseases in childhood.
To be able to apply evidence based practice in diagnosing and managing common childhood presentations in primary and secondary care settings.
- Childhood rashes
- Child presenting with fever
- Child presenting with a recent onset limp
- Child with first seizure and chronic cough
- Precocious puberty
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding to apply evidence based diagnostic and management pathway for a child presenting with rash in primary or secondary care setting.
- To evaluate practice critically in relation to the evidence base in child health and general paediatrics.
To learn about the application of evidence based medicine in managing common paediatric emergencies.
This module will cover a range of common presentations such as; paediatric basic and advanced life support, acute asthma, status asthmaticus, status epilepticus, altered consciousness, head trauma, encephalopathy, non-accidental injury, diabetic keto-acidosis, acute abdominal pain, child abuse, child safeguarding procedures.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding in the delivery and advancement of paediatric-related care.
- Equip students with life-long learning and advanced problem-solving skills that they can apply to practice in general paediatrics.
To learn about the presentation, diagnosis and management of children with developmental disorders. To learn about the support needs and current support availability for children with developmental disorders.
- This module will provide an overview of the diagnosis and treatment of; chromosomal syndromes, inherited disorders, metabolic syndromes and ex-preterm and developmental disorders.
- This module will also cover an overview of; mental health disorders, substance abuse, domestic, social and environmental factors and how to prevent these.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of a range of common primary care presentations in mental health.
- Critically evaluate a variety of methods used to support an inclusive environment in the community.
- Critically apply problem-solving skills that they can apply to practice in general paediatrics.
To learn about the impact of digitalisation on childhood physical activity, mental well-being and social development. To learn about and evaluate the effectiveness of global initiatives on improving child health.
This module will provide an overview of the diagnosis and treatment of; climate change, Covid-19, malaria, pneumonia, diarrhoea, digitalisation, violence against children, global child health initiatives.
- Equip students to critically appraise evidence-based medicine in relation to child health.
- To discuss about the prevention and advances in management of common causes of childhood deaths eg; pneumonia, malaria, diarrhoea.
- To elaborate about ways to identify and prevent violence against children.
This Child Health and Paediatrics Postgraduate Diploma course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of clinical scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based care. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout.
Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies.
- Case problems reflective of day-to-day practice/research will be presented for the students to consider and answer every week.
- Students discuss the concepts being presented in the case within their online group discussion forum, facilitated throughout the module by their tutor and marked by them at the end of the module.
- The content of the academic forum is based on the learning outcomes for the module.
The online reflective journal is a learning portfolio that requires students to record and critically reflect on their learning. Reflection is an important aspect of the programme since the professionals will be able to spend time considering how their practice compares to the themes being discussed in the module. The tutor provides feedback to the student weekly and marks it at the end of the module. Reflective practice is a requirement for healthcare professionals for professional re-validation and professional development.
This can be either a Group Activity or an Individual Activity:
Designed to stimulate and test the students’ ability to work as a team in taking the subject area forward. A group task is set, the group elects a leader using the online forum and the leader allocates tasks to group members. The leader is responsible for managing, collating and submitting the activity (online) at the end of the module. The tutor provides formative guidance part way through the module and marks the assessment at the end.
Designed to stimulate and demonstrate personalised learning, creativity and problem solving with application to each student’s own practice area.
Examples of individual activities might include either a written assignment, developing an academic poster presentation, a blog or social media project.
All students must complete the same assignment for each module which is pre-determined by the Programme Leader before the modules commence.
- Case problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination with multiple-choice questions directly test the reasoning and knowledge objectives of the module.
- The online exam is marked automatically.
- The examination tests related theory and problem-solving skills.
Since our paediatrics courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare field, such as a medical or nursing degree.
Registered healthcare professionals without these recognised qualifications will be considered for the Child Health and Paediatrics Postgraduate Diploma on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.0 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. You can also contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|Deposit payable on acceptance†||£830||£830|
|1st January 2023||£830||£4,150|
|1st March 2023||£830|
|1st May 2023||£830|
|1st July 2023||£830|
|1st September 2023||£830|
† Deposits are non-refundable
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.