Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology in Clinical Practice (USW)
Dermatology is an increasingly popular clinical entity amongst medical trainees and nurses worldwide and is ranked the most satisfying medical specialities to practise. This is reflected in our diploma in dermatology programmes popularity and the number of applicants we receive because of the field's diversity, flexibility and the fact it is very visual and hands-on.
Increasing your knowledge in dermatology through our dermatology courses can add significant value to your patients, especially given the social stigmas surrounding skin disease. Our online diploma in dermatology is applicable to all GPs, Practice Nurses, Specialist Nurses and Pharmacists exposed to patients with dermatological conditions. Our flexible, part-time dermatology online courses are run in conjunction with The University of South Wales (USW).
A modern, industry-focused University, rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020. Also rated top 10 in the UK, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022 for Health Studies. Our high-quality and reasonably priced dermatology online courses are very well reputed programmes, led and taught by experts in their field.
Next intake: 2023 SeptemberKey Facts
Our dermatology course satisfies the growing international demand for dermatology courses. Having a specialist knowledge in dermatology is an increasingly important asset for medical personnel. Our dermatology diploma is online, and is designed to help healthcare professionals specialise in their career and aid the need for more dermatology professionals.
Plus our courses are the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. With no international surcharge and interest-free payment plans, we are making education accessible to everyone.
On completion of this affordable dermatology course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the care of patients with dermatological conditions.
- Critically evaluate current research in practical dermatology.
- Deliver management strategies for the investigation and treatment of patients with dermatological conditions.
- Critically appraise current and potential practical dermatological treatments for use in a variety of population groups.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Prof Christian Aldridge BSc (Hons), MBChB, MRCP
Current post: Consultant Dermatologist, Prince Charles and Royal Glamorgan Hospitals
- Consultant Dermatologist
- Chair of the All Wales Skin Cancer Network
- Teledermatology Lead at...
Dr Cecilia Grossmith
Dr Cecilia Grossmith first became interested in dermatology in 2001, having been a GP for many years and finding skin complaints a major part of general practice....
Dr Michael Boffa
As Consultant Dermatologist, Dr Michael Boffa's regular duties include outpatient clinics in General & Paediatric Dermatology, Urgent referrals, Skin Surgery and Laser sessions, supervision of the nurse-led...
Dr Deepa M.L Hemnani
Dr Deepa M.L Hemnani is a Dermatologist working in the capacity of Assistant professor with "Dow University of Health Sciences" Karachi, Pakistan, which is a renowned...
Dr Thomas King
Dr Thomas King is currently an ST6 dermatology Specialist Trainee at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and has recently accepted a consultant dermatology post at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals.
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 September Key Facts
Why Study a Dermatology (The University of South Wales) Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
The diploma in dermatology is applicable to all GPs, Practice Nurses, Specialist Nurses and Pharmacists exposed to patients with dermatological conditions.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online Dermatology in Clinical Practice Postgraduate Diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
To develop a critical understanding of the description of dermatological conditions, referral pathways, imaging and management.
- The language of dermatology
- Drug eruptions
- Cutaneous manifestations of systemic disease
- Guidance, teledermatology and the multi-disciplinary team
- Resolve diagnostic conundrums and institute appropriate management strategies in relation to systemic disease, side effects of drugs and vasculitides.
- Demonstrate acuity in using health care resources for the benefit of the patient in such areas as the role of the multidisciplinary team, referral pathways and evidence-based, guidance in dermatological conditions.
To describe, diagnose and interpret the management of skin lesions in the context of guidance.
- Skin lumps and bumps
- Benign skin lesions
- Non-melanoma skin cancer
- Melanocytic Naevi
- Surgical Approach to Skin Disease
- Differentially diagnose a wide variety of skin lesions.
- Differentiate between benign and malignant lesions and an understanding of the appropriate referral pathway and treatment guidance.
- Critical appraisal of the evidence relating to the management of skin lumps and bumps.
To accurately describe, identify and institute an appropriate management strategy for dermatoses at specific areas of the body.
- Facial rashes
- Scalp and hair
- Perineal dermatoses
- Flexural dermatoses
- Palmar and plantar dermatoses
- A critical understanding of the predilection for common dermatoses at various sites of the body.
- An ability to solve diagnostic conundrums relating to regional dermatoses.
- An ability to formulate an appropriate management plan for site specific dermatoses utilising evidence.
To accurately describe, identify and institute an appropriate management strategy for inflammatory dermatoses.
- Differential diagnosis of inflammatory dermatoses
- Atopic eczema
- Contact dermatitis
- Bullous eruptions
- A critical understanding of the evidence relating to common inflammatory skin conditions.
- An ability to solve diagnostic conundrums relating to inflammatory dermatoses.
- An ability to formulate an evidence-based management plan for common inflammatory dermatoses.
To be able to describe, diagnose and interpret the management of skin infections in the context of guidance.
- Differential diagnosis of skin infections
- Cellulitis and ulceration
- Infection related to systemic illness
- A critical awareness of the evidence basis for the identification and management of common skin infections/infestations/photodermatoses.
- An ability to develop and decipher a differential diagnosis for skin infections/infestations/photodermatoses.
- A critical awareness of the appropriate management strategy and referral pathways for infections/infestations and photodermatoses.
To develop an ability to identify common skin disorders in particular subgroups of the population and to understand the specific treatment pathways.
- Infant skin
- Acne and adolescent skin problems
- Pigmented skin
- Elderly skin
- Cosmetic treatments
- A critical awareness of the evidence basis relating to the identification and treatment of common skin disorders in various populations.
- An ability to develop and decipher a differential diagnosis for common skin diseases affecting specific populations.
- A critical awareness of the appropriate management strategy and referral pathways for individuals from sub-groups of the population.
The Dermatology in Clinical Practice online course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our dermatology courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare or management field.
Registered healthcare professionals or experienced managers working in the healthcare field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.5 (with a min of 6.0 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st November 2023||£920|
|1st January 2024||£920|
|1st March 2024||£920|
|1st May 2024||£920|
|1st July 2024||£920|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.
Talk To Our Students
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online diploma courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are some of the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. We also don't apply an international surcharge. No fixed timetable means you can log in & learn on the go, at your convenience.
Being totally online means we can select the very best tutors and resource editors, no matter where they’re located.
Connect with multidisciplinary people around the world to expand your insights & broaden your career prospects.
Our programmes produce 90% fewer emissions than campus-based learning.