Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Psychiatry
Diploma MSc is a collaborative partner of the University of South Wales. On successful completion of this course, you will receive a University of South Wales Postgraduate Diploma.
About the course
Mental health is becoming increasingly more challenging and multidisciplinary in practice so it’s essential to be able to deal with complex situations you may face as a healthcare professional, with confidence.
This course will:
- Improve your knowledge to ensure best patient outcomes
- Ensure you’re up to date with new classifications, treatments, and assessments that integrate psychological and social sciences
- Provide an understanding of how the Mental Health Act and the Capacity Acts influence delivery of services and the implications for you as a professional
- Demonstrate how the field links to acute medicine, surgery, perinatal services, children’s services and primary care
There is high prevalence of mental health symptoms that present in general practice. Mental illness accounts for a large burden of disease with approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK likely to experience a mental health problem each year. Therefore, in clinical practice it is highly likely that the first presentation and follow up of those suffering from mental health conditions is likely to be assessed and managed in general practice or by non-psychiatrists in primary or secondary care.
These presentations can be on a wide spectrum including change in behaviour, substance misuse, mood disorder, psychosis, dementia and more. Some of the presentations are typical and some are atypical in nature.
Like our other established and award-winning Postgraduate Diplomas, this one will include 6 modules, each of 6 weeks duration, studied in 1 calendar year, entirely online.
Equipping healthcare professionals with knowledge and skills to be able to confidently diagnose a psychiatric disorder based on a biopsychosocial model, underpinned by a critical exploration and understanding of a classification system.
Equipping healthcare professionals with knowledge and skills that will assist in the diagnosis of common and major psychiatric presentations such as anxiety disorders, mood disorders, psychosis and personality disorders. This understanding will be used to manage this group of patients using a biopsychosocial model underpinned, where required, by ethical and legal aspects.
Enhancing the unique skills needed for looking after older adults with major psychiatric disorders like depression, delirium, dementia, anxiety and paranoid states. You will update the knowledge and information needed for diagnosis and management including non pharmacological and pharmacological interventions using the biopsychosocial model and legal framework for mental capacity and relevant medicolegal and ethical issues.
Enabling you to recognise and manage a range of complex and atypical psychiatric presentations with a high prevalence in a primary care setting.
Equipping healthcare professionals with the ability to diagnose and appropriately manage or refer the most common presentations in young people including emotional disorders, conduct disorders and neurodevelopmental disorders. You will be able to recognise pathways of management for complex presentations within intellectual disability and neuropsychiatry.
Familiarising healthcare professionals with the key terms in substance misuse to facilitate history taking and use of assessment tools to formulate a management plan.
Meet the Course Director
Professor Tayyeb Tahir, BSc, MBBS, Diploma in Psychiatry, MD, FRCPsych
Current post: Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist, University Hospital of Wales.
- Professor Tahir has an extensive experience as a psychiatrist spanning over 25 years
- Tayyeb has been involved in medical education, research and training throughout his career
- His publication on the treatment of delirium is the only published placebo controlled RCT for treatment of delirium in a general hospital setting
- He has presented lectures and conducted workshops globally as a key opinion leader in psychiatry, in particular on topics of liaison psychiatry, delirium and leadership
- Prof Tahir continues to supervise MSc projects
- His research interests include delirium, medically unexplained symptoms and depression in general hospital
- His recent publication on 'Liaison Psychiatry in Wales’ is evident of his interest in service development and quality improvement
- Prof Tahir is also an examiner for the Royal College of Psychiatrists
Involvement with the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the Cardiff & Vale Health Board indicates his desire to make a difference in patient care. In his own words: “I am particularly passionate about teaching, sharing knowledge and upskilling practitioners. This ultimately means improving patient care which I think is most doctors' motivation for training in medicine."
You should be working in a clinical setting, either in the UK or overseas, in a role such as a psychiatrist, general practitioner, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, psychologist, pharmacist or physiotherapist.
You will also need:
- A science degree in a relevant subject
- IELTS of at least 6 or proof of the equivalent
How much is the course?
|Total Course Fees for UK/EU & International Students for March 2019:||£3900|
Fee payments may be made via the following options:
|Date||Option A||Option B||Option C|
|Deposit payable on acceptance†||£180||£180||£180|
|1st March 2019||£3,720||£620|
|1st April 2019||£1,240||£620|
|1st May 2019||£620|
|1st June 2019||£1,240||£620|
|1st July 2019||£620|
|1st August 2019||£1,240||£620|
† Deposits are non-refundable
Why should I do the course?
Small group sizes mean you’re a name, not a number
Although you’ll be learning entirely online, you will be part of a group with 10 to 15 other students - to share ideas, debate scenarios and develop best practice with.
It’s relevant and clinical
The course is clinically focused and has been designed following extensive research with primary care practitioners.
We’re with you every step of the way
You’ll have the support of a dedicated team who will help you with any challenges you may face - from help with navigating our online learning platform to advice on what you need to do to pass the course and meet deadlines.
The course is quality, as well as being consolidated and convenient
You’ll study entirely online for just 1 year so you can fast track your learning, and as our tutors are experts, you’ll be learning from the best.