Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Psychiatry*
Diploma MSc is a collaborative partner of the University of South Wales. On successful completion of this course, you will receive a University of South Wales Postgraduate Diploma.
This course is subject to validation
About the course
Mental health is becoming increasingly more challenging and multidisciplinary in practice so it’s essential to be able to deal with complex situations you may face as a healthcare professional, with confidence.
This course will:
- Improve your knowledge to ensure best patient outcomes
- Ensure you’re up to date with new classifications, treatments, and assessments that integrate psychological and social sciences
- Provide an understanding of how the Mental Health Act and the Capacity Acts influence delivery of services and the implications for you as a professional
- Demonstrate how the field links to acute medicine, surgery, perinatal services, children’s services and primary care
Like our other established and award-winning Postgraduate Diplomas, this one will include 6 modules, each of 6 weeks duration, studied in 1 calendar year, entirely online.
The module titles are currently under development however it is expected that the following subjects will be included in the course
- Elderly mental health (dementia)
- Anxiety and depression
- Crisis management - out of hours mental health/risk assessment
- Addiction and illicit drugs
- Capacity assessment and DoLs (deprivation of liberty)
- Dealing with heartsink patients
- Transgender and gender dysphoria
Meet the Course Director
Professor Tayyeb Tahir, BSc, MBBS, Diploma in Psychiatry, MD, FRCPsych
Current post: Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist, University Hospital of Wales.
- Professor Tahir has an extensive experience as a psychiatrist spanning over 25 years
- Tayyeb has been involved in medical education, research and training throughout his career
- His publication 'A randomized controlled trial of quetiapine versus placebo in the treatment of delirium' is the only published placebo controlled RCT for treatment of delirium in a general hospital setting
- He has presented lectures and conducted workshops globally as a key opinion leader in psychiatry, in particular on topics of liaison psychiatry, delirium and leadership
- Prof Tahir continues to supervise MSc projects
- His research interests include delirium, medically unexplained symptoms and depression in general hospital
- His recent publication on 'Liaison Psychiatry in Wales’ is evident of his interest in service development and quality improvement
- Prof Tahir is also an examiner for the Royal College of Psychiatrists
Involvement with the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the Cardiff & Vale Health Board indicates his desire to make a difference in patient care. In his own words: “I am particularly passionate about teaching, sharing knowledge and upskilling practitioners. This ultimately means improving patient care which I think is most doctors' motivation for training in medicine."
You should be working in a clinical setting, either in the UK or overseas, in a role such as a psychiatrist, general practitioner, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, psychologist, pharmacist or physiotherapist.
You will also need:
- A science degree in a relevant subject
- IELTS of at least 6 or proof of the equivalent
How much is the course?
|Total Course Fees for UK/EU & International Students for March 2019:||£3900|
Fee payments may be made via the following options:
|Date||Option A||Option B||Option C|
|Deposit payable on acceptance*||£180||£180||£180|
|1st March 2019||£3,720||£620|
|1st April 2019||£1,240||£620|
|1st May 2019||£620|
|1st June 2019||£1,240||£620|
|1st July 2019||£620|
|1st August 2019||£1,240||£620|
Why should I do the course?
Small group sizes mean you’re a name, not a number
Although you’ll be learning entirely online, you will be part of a group with 10 to 15 other students - to share ideas, debate scenarios and develop best practice with.
We’re with you every step of the way
You’ll have the support of a dedicated team who will help you with any challenges you may face - from help with navigating our online learning platform to advice on what you need to do to pass the course and meet deadlines.
The course is quality, as well as being consolidated and convenient
You’ll study entirely online for just 1 year so you can fast track your learning, and as our tutors are experts, you’ll be learning from the best.
*The course content, including the course title, is subject to validation. This means details may change but the content of this page will be reflected in the course once validated.