Postgraduate Diploma in Acute Medicine
Many registered healthcare professionals are exposed to acute medicine on a daily basis, so the demand for tailored postgraduate education has grown over time. Our self directed learning postgraduate diploma in acute medicine caters for this demand.
With the guidance and support of top industry educators, this flexible diploma in acute medicine enables professionals to develop a systematic understanding of evidence-based, protocol-delivered practice that is critical in optimising acute care.
As a student on the diploma in acute medicine you will work with students from all over the world and from a variety of disciplines, which will improve your clinical outcomes. This will allow you to gather accurate and relevant insights to put into practice, as well as expand your network for future career opportunities.
Next intake: 2023 SeptemberKey Facts
The primary goal of this postgraduate diploma in acute medicine is to provide students with a systematic understanding of acute medicine, critical appraisal skills, and knowledge application for direct patient benefit. In addition, students will benefit from life-long learning and advanced problem-solving skills taught by carefully selected top industry educators, which they will be able to apply in clinical practice in acute and emergency medicine.
The diploma in acute medicine is designed specifically for healthcare professionals who assist in assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients with urgent medical needs. All knowledge gained from this course is required for the rapidly evolving specialty that serves as the foundation for hospital-based and emergency medicine.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Dr. Hayder Ewad
I’m a Consultant Physician in General and Acute Medicine for the NHS, working in a very challenging time and environment. I am proud that over the course...
Tutor - Jonathan Soldera
Current post: Professor of Clinical Gastroenterology, Universidade de Caxias do Sul, Brazil.
- Board-certified gastroenterologist and hepatologist
- Currently teaching and working in Brazil
- Areas of interest and research are cirrhosis and...
Tutor - Dr. Abdul Naeem
Current Role: Consultant Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, Specialty tutor Acute Medicine at University of South Wales.
- Currently he is head of the critical care unit in a tertiary level...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 September Key Facts
Why Study an Acute Medicine Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
Applicants will typically be registered healthcare professionals who have a day to day exposure to acutely ill patients who are looking for a diploma in acute medicine or similar discipline.
This may include:
- Occupational therapists
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online postgraduate diploma in acute medicine allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches to address complex cases and apply guideline and evidence-based care in the management of acutely ill patients presenting with cardio-respiratory conditions.
Guideline directed approach to the management of patients with acute cardio-respiratory diseases including:
- Severe Hypertension
- Acute Heart Failure
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Thromboembolic Disease
- Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Respiratory Disease
- Pleural Effusions
- Acute Asthma
- Respiratory Failure
- Cardiac Arrest
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnosis and management of patients presenting with acute respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply evidence-based learning in acute cardiovascular and respiratory scenarios.
- Appraise, reflect upon and create ways forward in the management of patients presenting with acute cardio-respiratory conditions within the multidisciplinary team.
Enhance the management of complex cases presenting with a variety of acute diabetic and endocrine conditions, and apply guideline and evidence-based care in the management of acutely ill patients.
The management of patients presenting with acute diabetic and endocrine diseases, including:
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis
- Hyperosmolar Non-Ketosis
- Acute Hypercalcaemia
- Adrenal crisis
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnosis, treatment and management of patients presenting with acute endocrine conditions.
- Critically analyse, interpret and evaluate evidence and guidance-based strategies in the management of acutely unwell patients with diabetic-related conditions.
Reformulate and use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches to assess and manage complex cases, and apply guideline and evidence-based care in the management of acutely ill patients presenting with gastrointestinal conditions.
The management of patients presenting with acute gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses, including:
- Upper GI Haemorrhage
- Acute Abdominal Pain
- Intractable Vomiting
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Acute Liver Disease
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- GI Infections (such as Dysentery and Gastroenteritis)
- GI Malignancy
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnostic synthesis and management strategy employed in the treatment of patients presenting with acute GI conditions.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply evidence-based learning and guideline-based treatment in acute GI disorders.
Apply guideline and evidence-based care in the management of acutely ill patients, facilitating the critical evaluation of actions, methods and results used in the management of acute infections.
The management of patients presenting with acute bacterial, viral and fungal infection relating to all organ systems; the management, investigation and diagnosis of sepsis and bacteraemia; and the management of the immune-compromised individual in relation to infection.
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnosis and management of patients presenting with acute infections.
- Critically analyse, interpret and evaluate the presentation, cause and management of the immune-compromised patients in the acute medical setting.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply evidence-based practice and guideline-based treatment with acute infections and sepsis.
Develop a critical understanding of the assessment and management of acute neurological disorders and strokes, applying guideline and evidence-based care in the management of acute neurological disorders and strokes.
The diagnosis and management of patients presenting with acute neurological disorders, including:
- Acute Stroke
- Cerebral Infections
- Cerebral Haemorrhage and Haematomas
- Venous Sinus Thrombosis
- Acute Cerebral Malignancy
- Acute Neuronopathies
- Raised Intracranial Pressure
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnosis and management strategy employed in the investigation and treatment of patients presenting with acute neurological disorders.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of evidence-based practice and guideline-based treatment in neurological disorders, including stroke medicine.
Develop a critical understanding of the assessment of acute kidney, metabolic and toxicological disorders and apply guideline and evidence-based care in the management of these disorders.
The management of toxicological emergencies, such as overdoses (both accidental and non-accidental), acute drug reactions and anaphylaxis; the presentation of patients with metabolic and renal issues, including acute kidney injury, acid-base disorders, hyperkalemia and acute hyponatraemia; and the implementation of renal replacement therapy including dialysis.
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches for the diagnostic synthesis and management strategy employed in the investigation and treatment of patients presenting with acute kidney disorders.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the assessment and management of overdose and acute metabolic disturbance.
- Apply evidence-based practice and guideline-based treatment in renal, metabolic and toxicological disorders.
The diploma in acute medicine places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of clinical scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based care. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our diploma in acute medicine is conducted entirely online, it's accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals without any international surcharges.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare field, such as a medical or nursing degree.
Registered healthcare professionals without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st November 2023||£850|
|1st January 2024||£850|
|1st March 2024||£850|
|1st May 2024||£850|
|1st July 2024||£850|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.
Talk To Our Students
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online diploma courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are some of the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. We also don't apply an international surcharge. No fixed timetable means you can log in & learn on the go, at your convenience.
Being totally online means we can select the very best tutors and resource editors, no matter where they’re located.
Connect with multidisciplinary people around the world to expand your insights & broaden your career prospects.
Our programmes produce 90% fewer emissions than campus-based learning.