Postgraduate Diploma in Sexual and Reproductive Medicine
Our online and flexible, part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Sexual and Reproductive Medicine addresses the need for specific knowledge in the treatment and management of fertility issues at primary care level. This is inline with the increasing demand for fertility services and IVF treatments.
Next intake: 2023 MarchKey Facts
Around 10% of couples trying to conceive present to primary care with issues relating to fertility, this combined with an increase prevalence in conditions such as polycystic ovaries and endometriosis in females, as well as, low testosterone and erectile dysfunction amongst men. Traditional training in these areas is inadequate and therefore the need for specific reproductive medicine training is growing.
On completion of the affordable diploma in reproductive medicine you will be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the care of patients in sexual and reproductive medicine.
- A critical awareness of current issues affecting the care of patients undertaking treatments in sexual and reproductive medicine.
- Advanced knowledge of sexual and reproductive medicine that will facilitate decision-making in unpredictable and/or complex situations.
- An ability to use knowledge to adapt professional practice to meet the changing demands of healthcare systems.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Dr Janet Evans
Current Post: Consultant Gynaecologist, London Women’s Clinic
I am a gynaecologist trained in Cardiff. I have a sub specialist interest in infertility and assisted reproduction which I...
Tutor - Dr. Om J Lakhani
- Consultant Endocrinologist working at Zydus Hospital in Ahmedabad.
- A National board certified Endocrinologist with DNB in Endocrinology from Sir -Ganga Ram Hospital in New Delhi and MD and MBBS from...
Tutor - Bhaskara Kale
M.Sc in Advanced Gynaecological Ultrasound from Cardiff University.
Current post: Experienced medical professional offering considerable expertise in clinical practice across obstetrics and gynaecology coupled with comprehensive knowledge about changes, research...
Tutor - Dr Haseena Hamdani
- Worked as a Gynecologist and Obstetrician in India and Zambia from 1991 to 2001.
- 21 years private practice in Botswana.
- Completed a postgraduate diploma in Diabetes and Endocrinology.
- Passionate about...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 March Key Facts
Why Study a Sexual and Reproductive Medicine Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
The online diploma in sexual and reproductive medicine has been developed for:
Also suitably qualified individuals with an interest in sexual and reproductive medicine.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online diploma in reproductive medicine allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
You will develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and endocrinology of reproduction and an awareness of normal physiology in relation to conception, implantation and pregnancy.
You will gain an in-depth understanding of the physiological and psychological mechanisms underlying sexual function, and a functional understanding of the pathophysiology of sexual disorders.
You will develop an in-depth understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying male infertility, and the therapeutic options related to male infertility.
You will gain an in-depth knowledge of the causes of female infertility and an understanding of the clinical management of female subfertility/infertility.
You will develop an understanding of the investigation and management of the couple presenting with fertility issues, including the epidemiology and definition of infertility and an awareness of the diagnosis and investigation of recurrent miscarriage.
You will develop a critical awareness of infertility treatments currently available, and an awareness of the ethical dilemmas surrounding assisted reproduction and broadly how it relates to different political and religious sensitivities.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Sexual and Reproductive Medicine course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of clinical scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based care. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the diploma in reproductive medicine have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout.
You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice.
Due to the online nature of the diploma in infertility, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies.
Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our reproductive medicine courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare field, such as a medical or nursing degree.
Registered healthcare professionals without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st May 2023||£920|
|1st July 2023||£920|
|1st September 2023||£920|
|1st November 2023||£920|
|1st January 2024||£920|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.