Postgraduate Diploma in Rheumatology
Our post graduate diploma in rheumatology will equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in this specialised area of medicine. The diploma in rheumatology covers a wide range of topics, including the pathophysiology of rheumatic diseases, clinical assessment and diagnosis, treatment strategies and the latest advancements in research. Our postgraduate diploma in rheumatology will ensure you stay updated with the most current and effective approaches to managing rheumatic conditions.
The pg diploma in rheumatology is flexible and completely accessible to students across the globe - through our online platform, you can study whenever and wherever is convenient for you. This makes it ideal for busy healthcare professionals who want to advance their careers while maintaining their work and personal commitments. This qualification will enhance your professional profile and open doors to a wide range of career opportunities in rheumatology.
Next intake: 2023 SeptemberKey Facts
This Postgraduate Diploma in Rheumatology aims to develop professionals who can access information independently and use it to critically assess, evaluate, and disseminate the evidence base in rheumatology. In addition, the course will prepare students to take on leadership roles in rheumatology by developing problem-solving and necessary clinical skills.
Our diploma in rheumatology course is completely flexible, allowing you to fit your studies around your family, work, and lifestyle obligations. You will also collaborate with students from all over the world from a variety of disciplines, providing you with clinically accurate and relevant information that you can immediately apply in your clinical practice.
This diploma in rheumatology is designed to meet this ever-increasing demand, and on a successful completion of this flexible diploma, you’ll be able to:
- Show a systematic understanding of patient care in rheumatology.
- Critically evaluate current research in rheumatology.
- Maintain a critical awareness of current issues affecting the care of rheumatology patients.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Dr. Rizwan Rajak MBBCh, MRCP, LLM
Rizwan has trained as a Rheumatologist having worked in a large research / teaching hospital (University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff), district general centres and...
Dr. Md Abu Bakar Siddiq
Current Role: Currently works as an associate professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Brahmanbaria Medical College, in Bangladesh.
- Participates on a weekly...
Accreditors and Endorsers
PCRMM - Primary Care Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Medicine Society
The Primary Care Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Medicine Society approve and endorse the Postgraduate Diploma / Masters in Rheumatology.
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 September Key Facts
Why Study a Rheumatology Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
This diploma in rheumatology course is aimed at health professionals who are interested in a leadership role including:
- Allied Health Professionals
- Practice Nurses
- Those with related undergraduate degrees (e.g. Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, Podiatrists, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists) or equivalent professional qualifications and background experience.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online diploma in rheumatology course allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
To give an overview of the current state of Rheumatology, critically examining the underpinning science, as well as the diagnosis, treatment and healthcare/organisational delivery of common rheumatic disorders.
- Introduction: epidemiology, genetics, pathophysiology and immunology of common rheumatic disorders
- Role of the multidisciplinary team (MDT) in rheumatology services – specialist nurses, physiotherapy, hand therapy, podiatry, orthotics, clinical psychology, social workers, therapists, dietetics
- Disease activity scores used in clinical practice for common rheumatic disorders
- Imaging in rheumatology – X-rays, US, MRI, CT, bone scans, PET, vascular imaging, capillaroscopy, thermal etc
- Drugs & therapeutics – common agents used, mode of actions
- Drugs & therapeutics – adverse effects, drug monitoring requirements
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the pathophysiological science of common rheumatology disorders.
- Critically evaluate the contribution of the multidisciplinary team (MDT) services, disease activity assessments, diagnostic imaging and drugs and therapeutics used in rheumatology.
To develop a critical understanding and in-depth knowledge of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and its associated disorders (polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and palindromic rheumatism).
- Immunology, genetics, clinical presentation and diagnostic criteria in RA
- Biochemistry, serology and imaging in RA
- Complementary therapy, self-management techniques, psychological care in RA
- Conventional and biologic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (cDMARDs & bDMARDs) in RA
- Complications of RA
- Palindromic rheumatism, polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
- To critically evaluate the science, diagnosis and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- To differentiate, diagnose and treat complex complications of rheumatoid arthritis and the associated conditions of polymyalgia rheumatica and palindromic rheumatism.
Develop a critical understanding and in-depth knowledge of the seronegative spectrum inflammatory disorders, crystal arthropathies and infection-associated arthritic disorders.
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis & non-radiographic spondyloarthropathies
- Reactive arthritis, enteropathic inflammatory arthritis
- Gout & other crystal arthropathies
- Septic arthritis
- Infective arthritis – HIV, hepatitis, viral arthritis, Lyme, TB etc.
- Demonstrate an evidence-based critique of the science, diagnosis, treatment and complications of seronegative spondyloarthropathies and other inflammatory arthropathies.
- Demonstrate an evidence-based critique of the science, diagnosis, treatment and complications of crystal arthropathies and infection-associated arthritic disorders.
Develop a critical understanding and in-depth knowledge of the wide range of connective tissue disorders (CTDs) seen in rheumatology.
Indicative content to include topics on a range of connective tissue disorders such as:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Raynaud's disease
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the presentations, immuno-patho-physiologies, diagnostic criteria and diagnostic investigations of CTD.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of multi-system management, disease activity assessments, potential multi-system complications of CTDs.
Develop a critical understanding and in-depth knowledge of multi-system rheumatic disorders, common paediatric rheumatology disorders and paraneoplastic rheumatic conditions.
Indicative content to include topics outlined below and/or any other relevant current topics to fulfil the module aims and learning outcomes:
- Behçet's disease
- Myositis & anti-synthetase syndromes
- Adult-onset Still's disease, familial Mediterranean fever and other autoimmune systemic inflammatory disorders (Ig4-related disease, TRAPS, CAPS etc.)
- Common conditions in paediatric rheumatology e.g. juvenile arthritides, dermatomyositis, vasculitides (HSP, Kawasaki disease), SLE, fibromyalgia, hypermobility, scleroderma
- Paraneoplastic syndromes
- Demonstrate an evidence based critique of the science, diagnosis, treatment and complications of complex multi-system rheumatic disorders.
- Demonstrate an ability to assess and manage common Paediatric rheumatological disorders.
- Demonstrate an ability to assess and manage the relation of adult rheumatic disorders and cancers (paraneoplastic associations).
Develop a critical understanding and in-depth knowledge of a range of non-inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders.
Indicative content to include topics outlined below and/or any other relevant current topics to fulfil the module aims and learning outcomes:
- Soft tissue disorders – plantar fasciitis, bursitis, tendinopathies, carpal tunnel syndrome, spinal neurogenic disorders
- Hypermobility syndromes
- Osteoporosis & metabolic bone disorders
- Metabolic and neurogenic disorders – haemachromatosis, diabetes, alkaptonuria, charcot's arthropathy
- Critically appraise the clinical assessment and diagnosis of common rheumatological non-inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders.
- Critically appraise the current management strategies of common rheumatological non-inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders.
The diploma in rheumatology course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of clinical scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based care. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the diploma in rheumatology course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor.
Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice.
Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our diploma in rheumatology course are 100% online, it's accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare field, such as a medical or nursing degree.
Registered healthcare professionals without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference.This can be a work colleague, employer, or former tutor
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below)
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st November 2023||£750|
|1st January 2024||£750|
|1st March 2024||£750|
|1st May 2024||£750|
|1st July 2024||£750|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.
Talk To Our Students
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online diploma courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are some of the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. We also don't apply an international surcharge. No fixed timetable means you can log in & learn on the go, at your convenience.
Being totally online means we can select the very best tutors and resource editors, no matter where they’re located.
Connect with multidisciplinary people around the world to expand your insights & broaden your career prospects.
Our programmes produce 90% fewer emissions than campus-based learning.