Postgraduate Diploma in Genomic Medicine and Healthcare
There has been an increase in public and professional interests in genetic and genome-level diagnostic and predictive testing for clinical management, disease risk evaluation, prevention of major complications and offering the prospect of improved prognosis which has led to an increase of professionals needed in the field of genomic medicine.
Our online genomic medicine diploma aims to equip graduates with critical knowledge and understanding of genomic medicine. Graduates will be able to apply knowledge for direct clinical benefit and future study. Our distance learning genetics course also caters to the educational needs of primary and secondary care health professionals, and is the only university-validated course of its kind that is completely accessible online.
Next intake: 2023 SeptemberKey Facts
The programme is led by our dedicated expert tutors who are exceptionally experienced in their fields, sharing their high-level knowledge directly with their students. Our multidisciplinary learning experience means that not only will you be learning from the very best leaders in the industry from across the globe, but you will be grouped with fellow students located all over the world. This genomic medicine diploma is specially developed for busy doctors, nurses, pharmacists and allied healthcare professionals, with the online nature of the programme allowing you to study from anywhere, at any time.
On completion of the genomic medicine diploma you will demonstrate:
- A systematic understanding of genetics and genomic factors in human diseases.
- A critical awareness of current issues affecting the management of inherited human diseases.
- An advanced knowledge of clinical genomics that will facilitate decision-making in unpredictable and/or complex situations.
- An ability to critically evaluate current research in applied and translational genetics and genomics.
- An ability to deliver management strategies for the investigation and treatment of patients with inherited human diseases.
- A basic understanding of the scope and effect of genomics on treatments including horizon scanning of potential new targeted treatments for the wider population.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Prof Dr John N. Giannios
Publications and Awards in Translational Cancer Medicine
- Professional Doctorate in Translational Cancer Medicine, MDX, UK
- Postgraduate Certificate, Distinction, Translational Medicine,...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 September Key Facts
Why Study a Genomic Medicine and Healthcare Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
This genomic medicine diploma is aimed at General Medical Practitioners, Specialist Medical Practitioners (for example, those working in Paediatrics, General Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Medical Oncology), Nurses (Oncology, Cardiology, Paediatrics, Neurology etc), Midwives and Allied Health Professionals (Clinical Psychologists, Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists). The genomic medicine diploma will also be of interest to those with related undergraduate degrees (e.g. Dietetics, Biomedical Science and Pharmacy) or equivalent professional qualifications and background experience.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur Diploma in Genomic Medicine allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
Develop a critical understanding and knowledge of core concepts in medical genomics and multiomics.
- Molecular and Cellular Genetics
- DNA and RNA Epigenetic Modifications
- Inheritance Types of Genetic Disorders
- NGS and PCR based Molecular Pathology or Molecular Diagnostics
- Multiomics Approaches to Communicable and Non Communicable Diseases
- Translation of Genomic Medicine into Clinical Practice
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the core concepts of medical and health genomics and multiomics.
- Demonstrate an ability to translate genomic data into clinical actionability.
Develop a critical understanding of the principles, methods of delivery, and core practice issues in genetic and genomic counselling.
- Principles of Genetic and Genomic Counselling
- Interpretation of Family and Medical History
- Association of Clinical Phenotype to Disease Related Genotype
- Genetic and Genomic Risk Assessment
- Clinical Preparation and Genetic/Genomic Service Organisation and Delivery
- Consent, Confidentiality, Information Sharing and Ethics in Genomic Medicine
- Critically apply the principles of genetic counselling to complex clinical situations
- Selectively apply relevant ethical, moral and legal issues to the diagnosis, testing and counselling of patients
Develop a critical understanding and knowledge of core societal, legal, bioethical, bioeconomical, political and cultural perspectives on genomic information and technology.
- Legal Frameworks and Issues in Genomic Medicine
- Social and Cultural Aspects of Genomic Medicine
- Bioethical Implications in Genomic Medicine
- Public Policies and Politics in Genomic Medicine Service
- Bioeconomy Implications in Genomic Medicine
- Public Advocacy, Healthcare Professional Engagement and Education in Genomic Medicine
- Demonstrate a critical understanding and knowledge of core societal, legal, bioethical, bioeconomical, political and cultural perspectives on genomic information and technology.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically appraise a variety of broader considerations surrounding the use of genomic information and application of technologies.
Develop a critical understanding of the core principles and practice of medical and clinical genetics and genomics.
- Genetic/Genomic and Multiomic Multiethnic Epidemiology and Preventive-Healthcare (using GWAS, TWAS, PheWAS and GWES)
- Integrative Multiomics Analysis and Translation in Personalised/Precision Medicine
- Genetics/Genomics Clinic, Pharmacogenomics Clinic and Preventive Genomics Clinic including PRST
- Genetic, Genomic and Multiomic Profiling of Germline and Somatic Variants in Personalised Oncology
- Genomic-Medicine Multidisciplinary-Team (GM-MDT)
- Clinical Audit Cycle in Genomic Medicine
- Demonstrate the ability to implement cutting edge knowledge of multiomics into healthcare practice ranging from individualised care to population health.
- Demonstrate professional healthcare expertise in the application of emerging multiomics tools for the implementation of communicable and noncommunicable disease management using a multidisciplinary approach.
Develop a critical understanding and knowledge of genome-based reproductive medicine.
- Reproductive Genetics and Genomics
- Genetic and Genomic Implications of Infertility
- Prenatal Screening, Risk Assessment, Molecular Diagnostics and Genomic Counselling
- Specialised Prenatal Diagnosis and Personalised Healthcare
- Personalised Multidisciplinary Treatment and Management
- Legal, Cultural, Social and Ethical Issues in Fetal Medicine
- Critically appraise the implementation of reproductive medicine based on multiomic evidence in the multidisciplinary management of pregnancy.
- Critically appraise the evidence in implementing risk assessment for pregnancy and counselling using personalised approaches in high risk pregnancy and fetal medicine, taking into account legal, cultural and socio-ethical issues.
Develop a critical understanding and knowledge of how genomic medicine can be utilised to provide personalised medicine in healthcare.
- Applied Translational Research in Genomic Medicine
- Pharmacogenomics, Pharmacoepigenomics and Pharmacometabolomics
- Systems Medicine and 5 Ps Medicine
- Personalised Genomic Medicine Healthcare Services
- Integration of Genomic Medicine in Healthcare and Economic Implications
- Novel Therapeutic Advances of Genomic Medicine
- Creatively translate the healthcare possibilities of genomic medicine from bench to practice.
- Critically appraise the place of multiomic evidence in translational research for improving personalised/precision genomic medicine, taking into account the associated health economics.
This Diploma in Genomics places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real-life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Services Team is also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our Diploma in Genomic Medicine is conducted entirely online, it is accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional field.
Registered healthcare professionals or individuals working in the healthcare/science field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. You can also contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st November 2023||£700|
|1st January 2024||£700|
|1st March 2024||£700|
|1st May 2024||£700|
|1st July 2024||£700|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.
Talk To Our Students
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online diploma courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are some of the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. We also don't apply an international surcharge. No fixed timetable means you can log in & learn on the go, at your convenience.
Being totally online means we can select the very best tutors and resource editors, no matter where they’re located.
Connect with multidisciplinary people around the world to expand your insights & broaden your career prospects.
Our programmes produce 90% fewer emissions than campus-based learning.