Postgraduate Diploma in Gastroenterology
This theoretical gastroenterology course is designed to facilitate a better understanding of common gastroenterological disorders typically found in the community. Students will be better equipped to read and interpret endoscopy reports, an increasingly important element of practice.
This is not a course that will assess or develop endoscopic procedures, as this is not the focus, nor would it be possible to achieve without residential training and supervision. This online Post graduate Diploma in Gastroenterology is therefore designed to improve knowledge, which is an essential complement to postgraduate career progression.
Next intake: 2022 SeptemberKey Facts
The online Diploma in Gastroenterology answers the need for enhancing professional skills and knowledge in the field of gastroenterology, as there is increasing competition for employment in the healthcare arena, as well as increasing specialisation.
For healthcare professionals who successfully complete our diploma in gastroenterology, career progression would likely be facilitated, as well as the direct opportunity to improve patient care.
On completion of the gastroenterology diploma, you will be able to:
- Articulate professional decisions, incorporating an evidence-based rationale, in a variety of diverse and complex situations related to gastroenterology.
- Demonstrate the critical application of gastroenterology research to clinical practice.
- Apply life-long learning and advanced problem solving skills to clinical practice.
- Demonstrate leadership in the delivery and advancement of gastroenterology related care.
- Demonstrate leadership of teams in multi-agency, multi-cultural and/or international contexts.
- Demonstrate evaluation skills in the delivery of care to patients.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Programme Leader - Dr Peter Neville
Current Post: Consultant Physician / Gastroenterologist, Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil. Cwm Taf UHB
- Gained Certificate of Postgraduate Medical Education in 2009
- Endoscopy Trainer at Welsh Institute of Minimally Invasive...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate diploma has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2022 September Key Facts
Why Study a Postgraduate Diploma in Gastroenterology with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Value for money
Distance learning allows us to work with the worldwide industry-leading professionals.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Pay in instalments.
Boost your career
Get a postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Learn online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
15:1 student tutor ratio. We have a 92% student satisfaction rate.
Who is this Diploma course for?
Applicants taking our online gastroenterology diploma courses, will typically be GPs, doctors, nurses, physicians and pharmacists.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur Online Gastroenterology Postgraduate Diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the oesophagus.
- Oesophagus: anatomy and physiology.
- Oesophagus diagnostic test.
- Oesophagus and Barrett’s Oesophagus.
- Oesophageal dysmotility.
- Oesophageal Cancer.
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the oesophagus to a variety of oesophageal diseases.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the oesophagus.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the stomach.
- Stomach: anatomy and physiology
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Helicobacter pylori
- Gastric cancer
- Pernicious Anemia
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the stomach to a variety of diseases affecting the stomach.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the stomach.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the Pancreas
- Anatomy and physiology of Pancreas
- Pancreatic function tests
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Acute Pancreatitis
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Pancreatic Cysts
- Pancreatic cancer
- Neuroendocrine Tumours
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the pancreas to a variety of diseases affecting the pancreas.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the pancreas.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the Liver
- Anatomy and physiology of the liver
- Liver function tests
- Cirrhosis and complications
- Drug and alcohol induced liver injury
- Viral liver disease
- Biliary disease
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the liver to a variety of diseases affecting the liver.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the liver.
- To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the small bowel.
- Also to learn about basic principles of managing nutrition in health and disease.
- Anatomy and physiology of the small bowel
- Basic principles of nutrition
- Coeliac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- PEG feeding
- Bile salt malabsorption
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the small bowel to a variety of diseases affecting the small bowel.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the small bowel.
- Analyse the impact of nutrition on diseases of the small bowel.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the colon
- Colonic anatomy and physiology
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Infective diarrhoea
- Clostridium difficle
- Colonic cancer
- Stoma: colostomy and ileostomy
- Colonoscopy, screening and diagnosis
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the colon to a variety of diseases affecting the colon.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the colon.
The Gastroenterology in Clinical Practice online course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Your tutor will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets, and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our gastroenterology diploma courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants for our online gastroenterology courses will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare or management field.
Registered healthcare professionals or experienced managers working in the healthcare field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|Deposit payable on acceptance†||£650||£650|
|1st November 2022||£650||£3,250|
|1st January 2023||£650|
|1st March 2023||£650|
|1st May 2023||£650|
|1st July 2023||£650|
† Deposits are non-refundable
Option 3: Lower monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with our lending partner Lendwise.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise who is a leading private student loan provider, to help you fund your course fees should you require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.