Postgraduate Diploma in Gastroenterology
Looking to advance your career in gastroenterology? Our comprehensive gastroenterology diploma is designed to provide healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in this specialised field. The diploma in gastroenterology covers a wide range of topics, including the anatomy and physiology of the gastrointestinal system, diagnostic techniques, treatment modalities and the management of common gastrointestinal disorders.
Our expert faculty will guide you through the programme, which will ensure you stay up-to-date with this rapidly evolving field. This qualification will also enhance your professional profile and open doors to a wide range of career opportunities in gastroenterology.
Next intake: 2023 SeptemberKey Facts
Our gastroenterology diploma explores knowledge required for professional development in the field of gastroenterology, taught by carefully selected world-class educators. This affordable course allows you to work around your daily schedule, which means that you will gain a competitive advantage in the healthcare arena and specialisation without interfering with your work and life commitments.
Healthcare professionals who successfully complete our distance learning gastroenterology diploma courses will be able to advance their careers and have a direct impact on patient care. On a successful completion of this flexible gastroenterology diploma, you’ll be able to:
- Articulate professional decisions, incorporating an evidence-based rationale, in a variety of diverse and complex situations related to gastroenterology.
- Demonstrate the critical application of gastroenterology research to clinical practice.
- Apply life-long learning and advanced problem solving skills to clinical practice.
- Showcase leadership in the delivery and advancement of gastroenterology-related care, as well as team leadership in multi-agency, multicultural, and/or international settings.
As an important note, endoscopic procedures are not included as a course objective as this would be impossible to achieve without residential training and supervision.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Programme Leader - Dr Peter Neville
Current Post: Consultant Physician / Gastroenterologist, Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil. Cwm Taf UHB
- Gained Certificate of Postgraduate Medical Education in 2009
- Endoscopy Trainer at Welsh Institute of Minimally Invasive...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 September Key Facts
Why Study a Gastroenterology Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
Applicants taking our online gastroenterology diploma course will typically be:
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur Online gastroenterology diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the oesophagus.
- Oesophagus: anatomy and physiology.
- Oesophagus diagnostic test.
- Oesophagus and Barrett’s Oesophagus.
- Oesophageal dysmotility.
- Oesophageal Cancer.
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the oesophagus to a variety of oesophageal diseases.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the oesophagus.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the stomach.
- Stomach: anatomy and physiology
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Helicobacter pylori
- Gastric cancer
- Pernicious Anemia
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the stomach to a variety of diseases affecting the stomach.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the stomach.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the Pancreas
- Anatomy and physiology of Pancreas
- Pancreatic function tests
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Acute Pancreatitis
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Pancreatic Cysts
- Pancreatic cancer
- Neuroendocrine Tumours
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the pancreas to a variety of diseases affecting the pancreas.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the pancreas.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the Liver
- Anatomy and physiology of the liver
- Liver function tests
- Cirrhosis and complications
- Drug and alcohol induced liver injury
- Viral liver disease
- Biliary disease
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the liver to a variety of diseases affecting the liver.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the liver.
- To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the small bowel.
- Also to learn about basic principles of managing nutrition in health and disease.
- Anatomy and physiology of the small bowel
- Basic principles of nutrition
- Coeliac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- PEG feeding
- Bile salt malabsorption
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the small bowel to a variety of diseases affecting the small bowel.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the small bowel.
- Analyse the impact of nutrition on diseases of the small bowel.
To develop a critical understanding of the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the colon
- Colonic anatomy and physiology
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Infective diarrhoea
- Clostridium difficle
- Colonic cancer
- Stoma: colostomy and ileostomy
- Colonoscopy, screening and diagnosis
- Critically apply anatomical and physiological functions of the colon to a variety of diseases affecting the colon.
- Critically appraise current methods of diagnosing and treating diseases of the colon.
The gastroenterology diploma course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our flexible gastroenterology diploma course is conducted entirely online, it's accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals without any international surcharges.
Applicants for this gastroenterology courses will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare or management field.
Registered healthcare professionals or experienced managers working in the healthcare field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st November 2023||£800|
|1st January 2024||£800|
|1st March 2024||£800|
|1st May 2024||£800|
|1st July 2024||£800|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.
Talk To Our Students
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online diploma courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are some of the most affordable of their kind, providing value for money without compromising on quality. We also don't apply an international surcharge. No fixed timetable means you can log in & learn on the go, at your convenience.
Being totally online means we can select the very best tutors and resource editors, no matter where they’re located.
Connect with multidisciplinary people around the world to expand your insights & broaden your career prospects.
Our programmes produce 90% fewer emissions than campus-based learning.