Postgraduate Diploma in Respiratory Medicine
Respiratory diseases form one of the most common causes of deaths in society and continue to have a detrimental effect on health globally. As we navigate issues such as climate change and the effects of long COVID on respiratory medicine, with a rise in conditions like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and respiratory infections, the demand for skilled professionals in this important field is at an all-time high.
Our postgraduate diploma in respiratory medicine offers the opportunity for healthcare professionals to make a meaningful difference in the lives of patients with respiratory diseases. By studying our respiratory medicine courses, you can stay up to date with the latest research and advancements in the field of respiratory medicine, and gain the knowledge and skills required to treat respiratory patients with confidence.
Next intake: 2024 MarchKey Facts
We have developed a respiratory medicine diploma curriculum in line with:
- the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Respiratory Medicine guidance
- the Royal College of Physicians’ Specialty Certificate Exam, and
- the Royal College of General Practitioners’ (Respiratory) Speciality Certificate Exam.
By ensuring our respiratory courses content meets these standards, we ensure our students follow best practice and are well prepared to manage respiratory conditions in primary and secondary care in the UK and abroad.
Studying a pg diploma in respiratory medicine allows healthcare professionals to specialise in a rapidly evolving field that offers a range of exciting career opportunities. Whether you aspire to become a respiratory therapist, pulmonologist, respiratory nurse, or take part in groundbreaking research, our respiratory medicine courses will set you up for success.
Choosing respiratory courses online with Learna | Diploma MSc means that you can study from anywhere in the world at a time that suits you; we understand the need to balance your studies with a busy lifestyle. As a fully online learning platform, we incur significantly less costs than traditional campus-based universities. This means that we can pass on savings directly to our students, by offering some of the most affordable courses on the market!
Not only are our respiratory medicine courses affordable, they are also completely flexible; we adopt an andragogical learning style, putting students at the forefront of their learning experience with self-directed learning. Instead of lectures and seminars, you will participate in our academic forum with a multidisciplinary network of healthcare professionals worldwide, led by expert tutors, to research, explore and discuss clinical scenarios. This allows you to develop a global perspective and prepare for the realities of a career in respiratory medicine.
On a successful completion of this respiratory medicine diploma, you’ll be able to:
- Critically understand current issues affecting the care of respiratory patients.
- Develop an advanced knowledge of respiratory medicine and other related conditions that will aid decision-making in unpredictable and/or complex situations.
- Use knowledge to adapt professional practice to changing healthcare system demands.
- Utilise their in-depth knowledge of the scope and delivery of respiratory treatments, as well as horizon scanning for potential new treatments for the general population.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Dr Ramsey Sabit
Current post: Consultant in General and Respiratory Medicine, University Hospital Wales, Llandough
- Consultant Respiratory physician in Cardiff for 9 years
- Appointed COPD lead for the All Wales...
Tutor - Dr. Mujammil Irfan
Dr Irfan has over 20 years of clinical experience spread across two continents including the UK, Denmark, Italy, Ireland and India. He is a published author of a medical textbook...
Tutor - Dr. Nabil A Jarad
PhD (Imperial College), FRCP (UK)
Consultant General and Respiratory Physician
Current post: Consultant General and Respiratory Physician at Gloucester Royal Hospitals
- Consultant Respiratory Physician with sub-specialty expertise in Interventional Pulmonology,...
Tutor - Shahzaib Saleem
M.D, MRCP UK, MRCP Edinburgh, PG Dip Respiratory Medicine, MSc Respiratory Medicine
Current post: Specialist Internal/Respiratory Medicine, Radiation Protection Officer, Doha, Qatar.
- Working in a private clinic with multiple specialities,...
Tutor - Dr Craig Batista
PhD in COPD
Current post: Consultant in General and Respiratory Medicine, Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK.
Held different educational roles within a variety of organisations, including...
Tutor - Dr Sunil Dasari
MBBS, MD,FCAI, FFPMRCA, EDPM, PG Certificate
Current role: Consultant, Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine,University Hospital of Wales Cardiff
- Interventional pain specialist experienced in interventional pain procedures and medical management of different...
Accreditors and Endorsers
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2024 March Key Facts
Why Study a Respiratory Medicine Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
All of our programmes are authored and developed by world leading experts in their field.
Our faculty are selected due to their subject expertise, experience and teaching abilities to ensure the highest standards of educational excellence.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
Our postgraduate diploma in respiratory medicine is specifically designed for:
- Allied Health Professionals
- Those with related undergraduate degrees (e.g. Pharmacists) or equivalent professional qualifications and background experience.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online respiratory medicine diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks
Establish an understanding of Respiratory Anatomy and Physiology and apply this to the clinical assessment and investigation of common respiratory symptoms.
- Impact, burden and epidemiology of Lung diseases
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Respiratory systems
- Clinical Assessment and Clinical Examination
- Breathlessness and Wheeze, Cough and Sputum.
- Other Respiratory Investigations (X-rays, blood tests and more complex lung function tests).
- Recognise the impact of respiratory disease on society and the importance of epidemiology in the diagnosis and management of respiratory conditions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of anatomy and the physiology of the respiratory system and relevance to the pathophysiology of respiratory disorders.
- Compare and contrast the range of presenting symptoms in respiratory disease and how they are investigated.
To develop an in-depth understanding of Asthma and Allergy and its impact on patient life.
- Asthma Diagnosis and Investigation
- Allergy and anaphylaxis
- Pharmacological management
- Non-pharmacological / self-management
- Co-morbidities (obesity, OSA, bronchiectasis, rhinitis, depression)
- Difficult Asthma
- Identify common causes of allergy and anaphylaxis, their investigation and treatment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the diagnosis, treatment and management of Asthma
- Appreciate the role of co-morbidities and their relationship to difficult asthma
- Formulate a coherent approach for assessing, investigating and managing patients with difficult asthma
Develop a comprehensive understanding of the presentation, diagnosis and management of patients with COPD.
- Early and accurate diagnosis
- Pharmacological management (including oxygen therapy)
- Non-pharmacological management (smoking cessation, pulmonary rehabilitation and assisted technology)
- Management of exacerbations (acute and chronic, ICS debate, NIV, ceiling of treatment)
- Co-morbidities (osteoporosis, heart disease and depression)
- End of life care, palliative care and advance care planning
- Outline a robust approach to the diagnosis and investigation of patients with COPD
- Compare and contrast pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions in COPD, focusing on their strengths and limitations
- Recognise the importance of exacerbations and co-morbidities in COPD and their effects on patient morbidity and mortality
- Critically evaluate the role of palliative and end of life care in COPD, focusing on strengths and weakness of services in their locality
Develop an in-depth understanding of the presentation, investigation and management of thoracic malignancy and pleural disease
- Lung cancer – screening, red flags, solitary pulmonary nodules
- Lung cancer – diagnosis and staging
- Lung cancer - treatments
- Asbestos related pleural disease
- Pleural effusion and pneumothorax
- The interface and ethics (MDT, working across boundaries, communicating difficult diagnoses, when to stop treatment)
- Critically evaluate screening programmes, diagnostic investigations and treatments in lung cancer
- Formulate a robust approach for investigating and treating patients with pleural disease
- Justify the role of the multidisciplinary team in the management of malignant and non-malignant respiratory disease
Develop a comprehensive understanding of pulmonary infection, its investigation and management
- Tuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacterial disease
- Pneumonia (including community acquired and hospital acquired)
- Respiratory tract infection (bronchitis, URTI, bronchiolitis)
- Bronchiectasis and Cystic Fibrosis
- Infections in the immunocompromised patient (HIV, immunomodulatory drugs, atypical infections)
- Antibiotic guardianship
- Contrast the presentation, diagnosis and management of different respiratory pathogens
- Demonstrate an understanding of antimicrobial side effects and resistance, and the importance of antibiotic guardianship
- Describe the role of more rare pathogens in immunosuppressed patients and develop a robust approach to diagnosing such infections
To develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of interstitial lung disease, pulmonary vascular disease and conditions resulting in respiratory failure
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Other interstitial lung diseases
- Venous thromboembolic disease and pulmonary vascular disease
- Lung disease in my environment (occupational lung disease, children, flying and diving, dysfunctional breathing)
- Lungs at the extremes (age, obesity, illegal drugs)
- Sleep disordered breathing and ventilatory failure
- Compare and contrast the presentation, investigation and management of interstitial and pulmonary vascular disease
- Outline and differentiate conditions that lead to ventilatory failure, including sleep disordered breathing
- Outline and differentiate respiratory conditions that pertain to a particular environment or country
The postgraduate diploma in respiratory medicine online course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the chest medicine course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor.
Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice.
Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies.
Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants for our respiratory medicine diploma will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare or management field.
Registered healthcare professionals working in the healthcare field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st May 2024||£816|
|1st July 2024||£816|
|1st September 2024||£816|
|1st November 2024||£816|
|1st January 2025||£816|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.