Neurosurgery Online Courses
The online Neurosurgery MSc is designed for healthcare professionals in the UK and overseas who want to specialise in Neurosurgery and develop both theoretical knowledge and research skills.
Neurosurgery is a competitive and demanding speciality, requiring a broad knowledge of anatomy, neurology and physiology, in addition to critical appraisal and research skills. Neurosurgical trainees and specialist CNS nurses require specialist qualifications to progress their careers in neurosurgery.
This unique online Neurosurgery course is specially developed for busy health professionals and is practical and clinically focused. It will give you a better understanding of the role of neurosurgery within healthcare settings, allowing you to apply your knowledge of neurosurgery to your clinical practice.
Is an MSc in Neurosurgery online course for me?
Neurosurgery is a competitive and demanding specialty, requiring a broad knowledge of neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, in addition to critical analysis skills needed for complex decision making. Entry into a postgraduate training programme is highly competitive. With stringent criteria for entrance into specialty training, a postgraduate qualification in this field is highly desirable.
The course is suitable for doctors of all grades and nurses, in particular medical professionals and clinical nurses specialists wanting to specialise in neurosurgery. Healthcare professionals working within a relevant clinical setting, both UK and overseas, with a related healthcare science degree (including international qualifications) are eligible to apply for the two-year MSc course.
Applicants without the above academic criteria but with relevant/suitable experience can apply. Applications will be judged on the individual specifics of background and qualifications including ability to work at postgraduate level (applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level and demonstrate requisite applied clinical/professional knowledge).
What will I learn?
We are currently interested in offering the following topics as part of the Postgraduate Diploma:
- Module 1 - Assessment and management of brain and spine trauma
- Module 2 - Neuro-oncology
- Module 3 - Cerebrospinal fluid disorders and paediatrics
- Module 4 - Neuro-vascular disorders
- Module 5 - The Spine and spinal cord
- Module 6 - Assessment and management of complications in neurosurgery
- Module 7 - Research Methodologies and Critical Appraisal
- Module 8 - Professional Project: Neurosurgery
The learning outcomes of the course are to:
- Apply conceptual and practical knowledge of neurosurgical conditions in both emergency and elective settings.
- Critically appraise current developments and guidance in neurosurgery.
- Critically apply an advanced knowledge of neurosurgical conditions to healthcare decision making.
- Critically evaluate current research in neurosurgery.
- Demonstrate reflection and creativity in addressing complex problems in acute neurosurgery.
- Exercise initiative and personal responsibility in decision making in complex situations.
- Professional/vocational skills.
- Deliver management strategies for the examination and treatment of individuals in a trauma setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritise care and minimise and manage risk in emergency care.
- Demonstrate leadership skills of teams in multidisciplinary care.