Postgraduate Diploma in Urology
The significant benefits of a Urology programme are many, and the scope for global impact is large, this is evident in the 10% of Europe’s daily medical care that is taken up by Urology-related problems. This diploma in urology will complement a number of our existing and future programmes where a desire to increase practical awareness of urological conditions and care pathways would be satisfied with this highly specialised programme.
This PGDip in Urology is designed to provide healthcare professionals who encounter patients presenting with urological conditions and wish to improve their knowledge, skills and experience in this area.
Subject to validation
Next intake: 2023 MarchKey Facts
Successful completion of our online urology courses are a highly sought after and recognised level of education; therefore, successful completion of this course will add value to a CV and will enable graduates to rise to the challenges of delivering high quality care to their patients within a complex primary and secondary care environment.
With no lectures or set time to study, you can fit your qualification around your schedule.
This flexible, part-time diploma in urology aims to:
- Equip the individual with a systematic understanding of urology, and application of knowledge for direct patient benefit/service development and future study.
- Equip students with life-long learning and advanced problem-solving skills that they can apply knowledge of urology to clinical practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead complex tasks and processes in the delivery and advancement of clinical care using knowledge of urology.
- Enable graduates to deliver leadership to teams in multi-agency, multi-cultural and/or international contexts.
- Evaluate practice critically in relation to the evidence base in urology. Equip students to critically appraise evidence-based medicine in relation to urology.
- Use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches of urology to address complex issues in clinical practice.
- Equip students with the ability to implement best practice and innovation in complex urologic scenarios.
Subject To Validation
This programme has not yet been validated by a University partner. We are accepting applications for this course on the basis that it will shortly be validated. Please note that all applications are subject to this validation being approved.
Professor Gareth Brown
Consultant Urological Surgeon
Gareth Brown is a Consultant Urological Surgeon based at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant. Gareth undertook basic surgical and urological training in South Wales and...
Subject to validation
Next intake: 2023 March Key Facts
Why Study an Urology Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
This programme is directed to Specialist Nurses, GPs and GP registrars, Specialist Registrars/CTs and Pharmacists.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online Postgraduate Diploma in Urology allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
Apply an advanced understanding of lower urinary tract anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology to the clinical assessment, investigation and management of lower urinary symptoms.
- Anatomy, Physiology and pathophysiology of the Lower Urinary Tract
- Investigation and Diagnosis of the Lower Urinary Symptoms (LUTS)
- Conservative and pharmacological treatment of benign prostatic enlargement (BPE) and lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)
- Surgical treatments for benign prostate enlargement (BPE) and lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)
- Management of overactive bladder (OAB)
- Management of Nocturnal Polyuria
To develop an in-depth understanding of the presentation, investigation and management of Prostate and Bladder cancer.
- Incidence, presentation and investigation of prostate cancer.
- Diagnosis and staging of prostate cancer.
- Treatment of prostate cancer.
- Presentation and investigation of bladder cancer.
- Diagnosis and staging of bladder cancer.
- Treatment of bladder cancer.
Develop a comprehensive understanding of the presentation, diagnosis and management of patients with urinary tract infections.
- Incidence, risk factors and pathogens
- Investigation and diagnosis
- Management of urinary tract infections
- Recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Epididymitis and Orchitis
Develop an in-depth understanding of the presentation, investigation and management of renal, penile and testicular cancer.
- Renal cancer – Presentation, investigation and staging.
- Renal cancer – Treatment.
- Testicular cancer – Presentation, investigation and staging.
- Testicular cancer – Treatment.
- Penile cancer – Presentation, investigation and staging.
- Penile cancer – Treatment.
Develop a comprehensive understanding of urinary tract stones and their investigation and management.
- Pathophysiology of stone formation
- Stones and upper tract obstruction
- Presentation and investigations
- Management of acute stones
- Management of recurrent stones
- Stones and infection
Develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of erectile dysfunction and male factor infertility.
- Epidemiology and causes of erectile dysfunction
- Investigations and Management
- Anatomy and physiology of Peyronie’s Disease
- Investigation and examination of Peyronie’s disease
- Management of Peyronie’s disease
The MSc in Urology online course places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of clinical scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based care. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
The online reflective journal is a learning portfolio that requires students to record and critically reflect on their learning. Reflection is an important aspect of the programme since the professionals will be able to spend time considering how their practice compares to the themes being discussed in the module. The tutor provides feedback to the student weekly and marks it at the end of the module. Reflective practice is a requirement for healthcare professionals for professional re-validation and professional development.
- Case problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination with multiple-choice questions directly test the reasoning and knowledge objectives of the module.
- The online exam is marked automatically.
- The examination tests related theory and problem-solving skills.
Since our courses are conducted entirely online, they are accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare field, such as a medical or nursing degree.
Registered healthcare professionals without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience in the field of Urology may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.0 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
You can also contact our admissions team on email@example.com for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Should you have already successfully completed the 1 year Postgraduate Diploma and wish to convert to the MSc and complete only the second year of the programme this is possible. Please contact our admissions department firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st May 2023||£830|
|1st July 2023||£830|
|1st September 2023||£830|
|1st November 2023||£830|
|1st January 2024||£830|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.