Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education
Healthcare professionals are increasingly expected to hold formally recognised teaching qualifications. Health regulators, ministries, and healthcare organisations are increasingly expecting those with teaching, mentoring, and assessing clinician responsibilities to use evidence-based methodologies and research to support their activities.
Next intake: 2023 MarchKey Facts
Our flexible and affordable Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education recognises both new and experienced medical educators' diverse, complex, and challenging contexts. The course is designed for medical professionals who want to advance their careers in medical education by focusing on developing excellence in both learning and teaching. The distance learning medical education course, with the assistance of our industry experts, aims to create a global community of educators dedicated to promoting improvements in teaching future healthcare professionals.
We are delighted to receive AoME (Academy of Medical Educators) accreditation for our post graduate diploma in medical education. The Academy's Professional Standards exist to provide; leadership and promotion of standards, support to all those involved in the academic discipline and practise of medical education, serve as a guide to curriculum development, and provide a recognised framework to allow you to advance in your career while working around your schedule.
This means on a successfully completion of our medical education diploma, you’ll be able to apply for full membership of the Academy of Medical Educators through a shortened assessment process, along with the ability to:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of specific issues at the forefront of medical education theory and practise.
- Inform educational practice, critically evaluate medical education theories and principles.
- Show an awareness of advanced knowledge in educational methods and practise.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the complexities of adult pedagogy.
University of South Wales
The University of South Wales (USW) is a modern, industry focused University located in Cardiff, Newport and Pontypridd in South Wales, UK. It was rated best in the UK for the Health Professions in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and, in the latest Complete University Guide 2022, is in the top 10 in the UK for Health Studies. USW is one of Britain’s largest and most exciting new universities attracting a cosmopolitan mix of students from across the globe.
Dr Richard Chudleigh
Current post: Consultant Physician Diabetologist and Endocrinologist Singleton Hospital, Swansea
Dr Chudleigh’s main areas of interest are Type 1 diabetes, pregnancy, insulin pump therapy, and nephropathy. He...
Accreditors and Endorsers
AoME - Academy of Medical Educators
The Postgraduate Diploma and Masters in Medical Education has also been accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators.
UEMS - European Union of Medical Specialists
This postgraduate course has also been accredited by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS)
Next intake: 2023 March Key Facts
Why Study a Medical Education Postgraduate Diploma with Learna
We have over 10 years’ experience delivering online courses, giving you access to flexible, affordable distance learning in partnership with world-leading educators.
Our courses are 100% online. No fixed study times mean you can log in and learn whenever and wherever.
Multidisciplinary - study in a group of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
No physical campus means we can offer world-leading programmes at the most competitive prices.
Get a PgDip from £3,900 or an MSc from £7,500 - the most affordable courses of their kind in the UK.
Get a University Validated postgraduate qualification in just 1 calendar year instead of 2 academic years.
40% of our alumni reported an increase in salary 2 years after studying with us.
Who is this course for?
The medical education diploma is suitable for:
- Healthcare Professionals
And those with related undergraduate degrees (e.g. Pharmacists) or equivalent professional qualifications and background experience who wish to develop their skills and knowledge as medical educators.
How Will I Learn?
You will be supported throughout your studies by a committed team of internationally recognised educational experts.
Our courses are conducted entirely online through self-directed distance learning. You’ll receive guidance throughout your course with tutor-stimulated academic discussions, which are based on clinically-rich case scenarios.
These usually occur within groups of 10-20 students, allowing you to clearly communicate with both your tutor and fellow students.
CurriculumOur online medical education diploma allows you to study for just one calendar year and is a part-time, distance-learning course. The course is worth 120 credits and comprises six modules of 20 credits, each running over a period of six weeks.
To develop a critical understanding of the context of medical education in the broader profession of education which puts focus on patient care.
- Learning and teaching theories
- Learning and teaching methods
- Lesson planning
- Practical skills for teaching online learning: Individuals, small, and large groups
- Practical skills for teaching online learning
- Current topics and controversies
- Critical understanding of teaching methods and theories for the application of learning
- Critical understanding of the importance of medical education and how to put the focus on patient care
To develop an in-depth understanding of the principles of assessment in medical education.
- Formative assessment
- Summative assessment
- Constructing an assessment (case study)
- Supervision and feedback (appraisal)
- Current topics/controversies
- Critically analyse a range of assessment methodologies
- Critically apply formative and summative assessment to the field of medical education
Develop a comprehensive understanding of the different types of evaluation.
- Regulatory context of Medical Education
- Moore’s levels
- Programme evaluation
- Case Studies
- Current topics and controversies
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the different models of evaluation
- Apply evaluation into practice to improve education for patient care
Develop an in-depth understanding of how to incorporate a variety of digital programmes into medical education.
- Educational media and technology (media in the context of lesson planning)
- Presentation skills
- Simulation (Augmented Reality/virtual Reality)
- Big data, big “clinical” data
- Emerging technologies: Ubiquitous web Internet of Things, mobile, digital ecology.
- Justify and critically evaluate the role of media in medical education
- Critically evaluate emerging technologies in medical education
To develop an in-depth understanding of the importance of effective leadership to help improve patient care.
- Monitoring the performance of healthcare professionals
- Academy of Medical Educators (AoME) domains
- Policy and strategy including interprofessional learning and compliance with the disability and dyslexia act.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of AoME professional standards for medical educators
- Critically evaluate the role of a leader in medical education
To develop the skills and knowledge to plan a curriculum as a medical educator.
- Curriculum planning and application
- Programmes of learning (theories, curricular design, QA, assessment methods, evaluation)
- Service user involvement
- Take responsibility for planning and developing a course curriculum
- Critically evaluate a medical education curriculum from various perspectives
The online medical education diploma places assessments at the heart of the learning process through the employment of real life scenarios to enhance problem-solving, critical analysis and evidence-based practice. Since the scenarios act as a focus for learning and assessment, the two are intrinsically linked.
The six modules on the course have the same assessment format and for all modules, you will be assigned a dedicated expert tutor. Your tutor will then facilitate case discussions with the group, whilst monitoring, assessing and marking your work throughout. You will also participate in a combination of module activities that may be group and/or individual based, dependent on the module.
These innovative teaching methods enable you to envisage the translation of your studies into your every day work and practice. Due to the online nature of the course, you will be expected to regularly login and participate in the course - ideally on a daily basis. Students are recommended to spend around two hours per day on their studies. Our dedicated Student Support Team are also available to help with any problems you may face. From navigating our online platform to advising you on deadlines, our team can assist with any questions or challenges you may have along the way.
- Every week students are presented with two/three clinical case-based scenarios that are reflective of every day clinical practice and research.
- Tutors will post a number of questions and prompts to aid students in a formal discussion of each case.
- These discussions are facilitated throughout by your tutor and are then assessed at the end of every module.
The reflective journal is used by students throughout each module to monitor personal progress. This is guided by weekly feedback from your tutor and is graded at the end of every module. The journal typically includes the following:
- Initial expectations and reasons for taking the course.
- Module and/or personal learning objectives.
- Description of events, issues and learning points within current personal practice.
- Change in every day practice due to knowledge gained on each module.
- A description of what has been learned during the module.
For this assessment, students will work on a group assignment and/or an individual assignment.
- Group assignments are designed to hone skills in the multidisciplinary, holistic approach to modern treatments and patient management by requiring group participation in a single piece of work.
- Individual assignments are designed to hone skills in academic career progression through such tasks as reviewing papers, developing scientific posters or abstracts, peer-reviewing, social media activities, patient information leaflets and essays.
- Students are provided with case-based problems in the form of a one-hour timed examination.
- The exam consists of 30 'Single Best Answer' questions.
- Students are required to complete the exam online within the set time.
Since our medical education diploma course is conducted entirely online, it's accessible to both UK and international registered healthcare professionals without international surcharge.
Applicants will typically hold a first degree or equivalent (including international qualifications) in a relevant professional healthcare or management field.
Registered healthcare professionals or experienced managers working in the healthcare field, without these recognised qualifications will be considered on an individual basis and a wide range of prior experience may be taken into account. In some cases, applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment in order to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level, and demonstrate the requisite clinical and professional knowledge.
- A copy of your updated CV including your address and date of birth.
- A copy of your undergraduate degree certificate.
- The name and email address of someone who is able to provide a reference, this can be a work colleague, employer or former tutor.
- A detailed personal statement explaining why you would like to undertake the course.
- A copy of your proof of English competency (see below).
English Language Requirements
Proficiency in the English language is also essential to completing our courses. If English is NOT your first language, we ask for proof of competency during the application process. We are able to accept an IELTS overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 for each band) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not meet these requirements, please don’t worry. The University of South Wales run a number of English Language Programmes at the Centre for International English to prepare you for your academic studies. You can also contact our admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the qualifications we accept.
Option 1: Upfront Payment in full. Option 2: Interest free payments every other month for the duration of the course.
|1st May 2023||£800|
|1st July 2023||£800|
|1st September 2023||£800|
|1st November 2023||£800|
|1st January 2024||£800|
† Deposits are non-refundable
†† Prices are subject to review following each intake
Option 3: Lower your monthly payments by spreading the cost for between 2 and 8 years with a loan from our lending partner Lendwise*.
*Subject to eligibility criteria.
Learna | Diploma MSc has a partnership with Lendwise which is a leading private student loan provider, to help UK students fund their course fees should they require financing. Lendwise is a UK-based education finance platform through which candidates can fund their postgraduate and professional qualification studies at leading educational institutions.
A Lendwise loan comes with a fixed interest rate for the duration of the loan (between 2 and 8 years) and no early repayment penalties. The interest rate offered will depend on the overall applicant profile and the application process is entirely online.*
*Other sources of funding are available.
Learna | Diploma MSc does not offer financial advice, recommend or endorse any financial product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt as to its suitability, we suggest that you seek independent professional advice.