Applied Clinical Psychology Online Courses
There is currently a high prevalence of people with psychological disorders such as anxiety, depression, phobias or eating disorders in the population. Psychological illnesses create a burden of disease with approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK likely to experience a mental health problem each year.
Our applied clinical psychology online courses are aimed at healthcare professionals who want to gain new knowledge and skills in applied clinical psychology. This course will give healthcare professionals a better understanding of the effects of mental health on physical health, allowing you to apply your knowledge of clinical psychology to your practice.
This course is also suited for psychology graduates wanting to undertake a distance learning Postgraduate Diploma; and potentially those who are seeking positions as assistant Psychologists, wishing to further progress their training, or are preparing to qualify as a applied clinical psychologist.
Is an Applied Clinical Psychology online course for me?
To qualify as an Applied Clinical Psychologist you need to be a member of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) with an accredited doctorate in Psychology.
Psychology graduates are eligible to apply for the Postgraduate Diploma course. Healthcare professionals with a degree qualification would be able to apply but will be subject to individual assessment to ensure they have the requisite experience. All applicants should work in a setting where they can apply their learning to practice.
Applicants without the above academic criteria but with relevant/suitable experience can apply. Applications will be judged on the individual specifics of background and qualifications including ability to work at postgraduate level (applicants may be asked to submit a piece of work for assessment to confirm that they are able to work comfortably at postgraduate level and demonstrate requisite applied clinical/professional knowledge).
What will I learn?
We are currently interested in offering the following topics as part of the Postgraduate Diploma:
- Foundations of Clinical Psychology
- Core Clinical Skills
- Therapeutic Approaches
- The Psychology of Common Mental Health Difficulties
- Severe and Complex Mental Health difficulties
- Specialist applications
- Research Methodologies and Critical Appraisal
- Professional Project: Applied Clinical Psychology
The course aims to:
- Equip the individual with a systematic understanding of applied clinical psychology, skills in critical appraisal and application of knowledge for direct patient benefit/service development and future study.
- Equip students with life-long learning and advanced problem-solving skills that they can apply to clinical practice in applied clinical psychology.
- Enable graduates to demonstrate the ability to lead complex tasks and processes in the delivery and advancement of applied clinical psychology-related care.
- Enable graduates to deliver leadership to teams in multi-agency, multi-cultural and/or international contexts.
- Enable graduates to critically evaluate the delivery of care to patients.
- Equip students with a systematic understanding of evidence-based medicine in relation to applied clinical psychology.
- Enable graduates to use relevant understanding, methodologies and approaches to address complex issues of patient management across the spectrum of medical specialties caring for patients with clinical psychological conditions.
- Equip students with the ability to critically evaluate evidence and guidance for applied clinical psychology and implement best practice and innovation in complex patient scenarios.